Contents Listing - Articles & Features in this issue
Penrith and beyond
The multi-purpose experiment The double-decker Britain's railways at war The Hexthorpe Disaster Caerphilly-The hub of the Rhymney Railway - Part One The North and West Route - 1 The Midland & LMS 2P 4-4-0S 50 years of the 'Britannia' Pacifics. Southern Electric line-up A singular double - Part One RAILWAY REFLECTIONS No.76 All the chief's men: The forgotten army South of the Thames Colour Files Readers' Forum Signalling Spotlight Book Reviews FRONT COVER - LSWR '415' class 4-4-2T No.30583 rests at Axminster on 14th July 1960. This veteran of 1885 was one of a trio of such engines retained to work the Lyme Regis branch long after the Southern had withdrawn the rest of the class in 1928. In fact, the LSWR had sold this engine to the Ministry of Munitions in 1917; two years later it went to the East Kent Railway but in 1946 the SR bought it back! All three of Ihese elegant Adams radial tanks were finally withdrawn in 1961.